This article from 2014, now it has been updated in May 2019.
Here are some Productivity Strategy Secrets shared by the movers and shakers, entrepreneurs, technocrats, top chefs, brand advisors, CEOs and top people. I believe you will gain miles from applying any of this strategy. Some you have may have heard, whilst some push you to repeat even more because the ultimate secret is about mastery. Here’s for you.
Productivity Strategy Secrets For 2019-2020:
1. Think and write about what you want to achieve in 2019-2020
2. Own productivity, make effort to schedule what matters to you on daily basis.
3. Prepare RTDL – Real To Do List each night before bedtime or early morning. It helps you plan the day effectively and efficiently.
4. If you come very early in the office, don’t check emails or read news online. Rather spend on thinking of your vision or do uninterrupted work that needs your brain.
5. Start your day with positive thoughts. Think of something really positive.
6. Manage your time insanely because you gotta manage your time.
7. Focus while you are doing something. If you are at work, focus. If you are with your kids and spouse, focus.
8. Scrutinize your calendar for the day. Prioritize and compress if you need to.
9. Delegate and follow up the tasks you ask someone to do for you. They could be struggling to execute and it doesn’t help when you abdicate the tasks.
10. Pray or meditate in between your hectic day. It has calming effects to the brain.
11. Use Post-It notes when you remember something out of your main RTDL / schedule. Don’t ignore it or don’t jump into it immediately (unless its extremely urgent).
12. Compile the Post-It notes by the end of the day and schedule them in your calendar and RTDL.
13. Use alarm clock to wake you up. Your biological body needs 66 days to stabilize and register – chances are you may have variations of biological clock in 30 days so use alarm clock.
14. Ditch the alarm clock and wake up fast head to the bathroom.
15. Take a nap in somewhere during lunch of slightly before lunch. 10-15 minutes is enough – use alarm clock to wake you up. Make a sign on your door or close it completely – uninterrupted.
16. Charge your devices. Don’t let the fear of dying batteries take your energy.
17. Avoid unnecessary phone calls or meetings that you can get someone else do for you.
18. Have a drink eg. coffee, tea, water or juices between 2-3 hours in between.
19. Make sure you drink enough water per day – preferably plain water. How much? Mayo Clinic’s advise is 3 liters for men and 2.2 liters for women. More is fine.
20. Hunker down when you need to complete very important work. Allocate 90-120 minutes uninterrupted for this.
21. Play some sports during the weekdays or find ways to walk the stairs. It helps you think better and it is good for the body.
22. Make team discussions and meetings interesting by removing the chairs. Get everyone a Sharpie and Post-It notes for further engagement. Boring meetings suck more energy than anything else!
23. Ask everyone participates in the meeting why are they present at the 1st place. If they don’t have the answer you are looking for they shouldn’t be in the meeting.
24. Go to bed with a question that you are working in your head – you might get the answer when you wake up!
25. Go somewhere for short travelling – it helps to clean up your thoughts and reenergize your body.
26. Cave in and have private light moment for yourself away from kids and spouse. Do this very privately. It doesn’t have to be a weekend getaway, sometimes a half day by yourself fortnightly is enough.
27. Don’t delegate your motivation to anyone else including best friends, spouse, children, neighbours, parents or anyone. Your motivation is your’s. Own it.
28. Do some art work eg painting, playing music, gardening, crafts, tinkering or singing. It rejuvenates your body and mind.
29. Make time for the people that matters to you personally. It could be your loved ones, parents and besties!
30. Eat same thing everyday helps to improve productivity. Once awhile, it is ok to change the menu.
31. Use productivity apps on your smart devices. Games are not productivity apps. 🙂
32. Turn off your television in your busy day. Throw if you can afford to live without it.
33. Set a dedicated time to reply emails. You can try LIFO method – Last In First Out to handle emails.
34. Build a network of friends that see you as who you are. Friends that you can laugh at and laugh at you – freely. It’s fun really!
35. Have a walk once awhile, either early in the morning or evenings. It’s a good distress method.
36. Have breakfast – eat something healthy to start the day.
37. During meeting or discussion, if it is not in the agenda don’t bother to talk about it.
38. Capture your random thoughts when you browse social media or roam around the internet. Some people use Evernote, Mashable, Pinterest.
39. When you are tired, pick the most interesting task and that require not much effort.
40. Have the habit to ask people around you these questions: What next? What else? How so? So what? What if?
41. Make time to read heavy stuffs related to your work and career. It helps you progress further and make more money to feed your passion.
42. If you think to job hop – put your economic needs as number one priority. Unfortunately, some passionate thing you do may not generate enough to get you further. Give it some time to develop. Meanwhile, try to love your career and what you do.
43. Keep promises so you don’t have to spend time remembering what you said.
44. Once a while, bend the rules and make big change for creativity and innovation sake. You don’t know your limits until you push them.
45. Keep some really nice, inspiring, motivating, captivating or whatever that will make you light up again during your down time. It could videos, music, letter, photos, mementos, books, lectures, articles etc..
46. Look your best when you are at work. Wear make-ups, spray perfume and dress well. It matters on how other perceives you at work place.
47. Stick to deadlines – earlier is better but don’t screw up your deadlines.
48. Discipline your emotion, nonetheless be direct in your comments.
49. Reframe your lost opportunities and do it at your own time, privately. Seize the right opportunity when you see it. Don’t play the waiting game.
50. Always stay hungry and stay foolish. Keep learning and adopt action bias. Do Think Leap.
Good luck and let’s make 2019-2020 our best years!
Brickbats please send to email@example.com